- Privatization and Investment Opportunities in Kazakhstan
| Zhanisek S. Karibzhanov, Jack F. Matlock | 05/04/1994
Kazakhstan has enormous resources and a literate population, but this large country is heir to exploitative methods of economic development that have ravaged the environment.
- Improving Municipal Services through Empowerment
| Bret Schundler | 03/02/1994
"There is no more clear experience of what happens when you allow government to establish a monopoly than that of driving a Trabant versus driving a Mercedes-Benz or a BMW."
- The Politics of Privatization in Argentina
| Eduardo Amadeo | 02/11/1994
The process of privatization provides the tool most needed to keep both the economy and politics working: it provides confidence and trust from the people--and privatization equals accountablilty.
- Facing Up: What We Need to Do to Get Our Economic Act Together
| Peter G. Peterson | 01/26/1994
If we in the United States are to get our long-term economic act together, we must address three imperatives: economic, moral, and political.
- Privatization: It Can and Does Work
| Edward G. Rendell | 01/19/1994
With privatization, employees no longer think about how they might just "get through the week," but rather that they had "better shape up" or "wind up being the next to go."
- The Various Roads to a Private Economy
| Leszek Balcerowicz | 11/29/1993
"Entrepreneurs respond whenever you lift restrictions. One can say that the private market economy is a natural state of society."
- Reinventing Government: Public Employees' Perspectives
| Gerald M. McEntee | 10/22/1993
"We must rebuild the social compact, the belief that government can and should serve all the people of this nation."
- Making New York Work Through Privatization and Competition
| Frank G. Zarb | 09/20/1993
The Privatization Task Force proposes "competition with winners selected purely on the basis of quality and price, regardless of private or public sector status."
- Why America Needs Privatized Infrastructure Industry
| Robert W. Poole, Jr. | 05/07/1993
"We need to create a new industry of firms that finance, design, build, own, and operate major infrastructure . . . a new paradigm for infrastructure in this country."
- Privatization: The Canadian Story
| John McDermid | 03/09/1993
Crown corporations were created not out of ideological fervor, but pragmatically, to serve social, cultural, and economic priorities the private sector could not be expected to meet at that time.
- An Update on Privatization in the Czech Republic: The Economic Transformation After the Split
| Karel Dyba | 02/19/1993
"Two years ago there were no private shops in the Czech lands. Now, about 60-70 percent of retail, trade, and services are back in the hands of private entrepreneurs."
- Mass Privatization in Poland: Differences and Similarities with Other Privatization Programs
| Jerzy Thieme | 01/29/1993
Mass privatization in Poland may be the solution for sound companies with growth potential that cannot yet attract investors, domestic or foreign.