Carnegie Council for Ethics in International Affairs announces its eighth annual International Essay Contest, open to teachers and students anywhere in the world.
ESSAY TOPIC: Is nationalism an asset or hindrance in today's globalized world?
Nationalism as used here is a broad term and can be viewed in terms of patriotism, economic nationalism, national identity that holds a diverse country together, nativism, a movement that ideologically separates a nation from a supranational organization, or any other logical way you think fit, as long as you define it clearly.
Some suggested areas of focus:
- The growing, weakening, or lack of nationalism in a specific country and its effect on ethical choices made by leaders.
- A comparison of nationalism of two or more countries and how it affects their people, economy, etc.
- An analysis of nationalism in a specific country in the past and today. Has nationalism in this country changed over the years and is it for better or worse? Why?
- Who does nationalism benefit in a specific country? The leaders, elites, middle class, or the poor? Why? Is this fair?
- How does nationalism relate to globalization? Are the two mutually exclusive? Do they have a cause-effect relationship?
You are not limited to the suggested areas of focus but your paper must answer the question stated in the essay topic.
- Style: Op-ed style (not academic, footnoted papers)
- Length: 1,000 to 1,500 words
- Format: Blog post on www.globalethicsnetwork.org. English language entries only.
- Limit: One entry per person.
This competition is open to teachers and students of all nationalities.
Before submitting your essay, please review these plagiarism guidelines to ensure that your work is original and properly cited.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
All teachers, at whatever level, are eligible.
All students, from high school students through graduate students, are eligible. Non-students are automatically disqualified.
Collaborative essays between students and teachers are welcome.
Previous winners and honorable mentions are not eligible.
HOW TO ENTER:
1. Join the free Global Ethics Network (GEN) website: www.globalethicsnetwork.org.
2. Post your essay in the blog section and tag it with #essaycontest2016.
3. Please include the following:
* Your full name.
* The name of your school.
* Indicate whether you are a teacher or a student, and at what level (high school, undergraduate, graduate).
COMPETITION DEADLINE: December 31, 2016
The essays are judged in three categories: teachers and graduate students; undergraduate students; and high school students.
1st prize: $250 Amazon Gift Certificate
2nd prize: $150 Amazon Gift Certificate
3rd prize: $75 Amazon Gift Certificate