The "Thinking Democratically" section and its accompanying resources and activities is meant to stimulate student thought about what it means to be a part of a democracy. Through the materials provided on this page, the class is encouraged to build upon political science experts definitions of a variety of political ideologies and synthesize their own opinions on the role of democracy around the world during the 20th and 21st centuries. The activities and discussions from this section are meant to be truly democratic in nature, with student input being a priority.
Resources are scaffolded and include:
- An introductory PowerPoint lesson on different forms of democracies with two corresponding worksheet activities:
- Worksheets that allow students to understand the expansive definitions of different political ideologies:
- Primary source excerpts and worksheets of arguments for and against democracy promotion in the 21st century:
- Excerpts, resources, and questions that can be used for a Socratic Seminar and/or for students to write a paper on the theme of democracy promotion:
- International Student Essay Contest (2018):