- What are the limits of sovereignty and the international legal principle of nonintervention?
- To what extent is humanitarian intervention now a legitimate practice in international society?
- How can just and unjust interventions be distinguished?
- What kinds and degrees of threats to a population justify an international response?
- Must interventions be authorized by an international body, such as the UN Security Council?
- When might unauthorized or unilateral interventions be appropriate?
- Do states have to be democratic and respect human rights in order to earn the right against intervention?
- Does international society have a moral duty to end the genocide in Darfur?
- What other kinds of concerns should trigger an interventionist response? Does taking environmentalism seriously require us to further rethink the assumptions of the state system?