- What should we expect of global governance institutions, such as the United Nations?
- By what standard can international institutions claim to be legitimate? Can and should they be democratic?
- In what circumstances and to what extent may such institutions interfere with the domestic affairs of states? What roles can global actors and cosmopolitan norms claim in reshaping domestic political structures?
- To what extent should liberal peoples tolerate diverse practices abroad? And at what point does toleration endanger the rights of women or minorities?
- What, if anything, justifies differential treatment of citizens and noncitizens?
- Do states have a right to control immigration, or are they morally obliged to admit those who seek to enter?