- Law, Politics, and Morality in Judaism [Full Text]
This volume of collected essays by Michael Walzer seeks to bring a more concentrated focus on specifically Jewish outlooks regarding three key themes: "Political Order and Civil Society"; "Territory, Sovereignty, and International Society"; and "War and Peace."
- The Good Fight: Why Liberals--and Only Liberals--Can Win the War on Terror and Make America Great Again [Full Text]
| Marcus A. Roberts | 06/01/2007
Peter Beinart's new book offers the Democratic Party a "new liberalism," a vision he bases on the party's history of moral leadership and success in combating totalitarianism in the post–World War II era.
- Are Women Human? And Other International Dialogues [Full Text]
Catharine MacKinnon's fundamental claim is that the violence and abuse routinely inflicted on women by men is not treated with the same seriousness accorded to a human rights violation, or torture, or terrorism, or a war crime, or a crime against humanity, or an atrocity.
- A Turn to Empire: The Rise of Imperial Liberalism in Britain and France [Full Text]
Jennifer Pitts asserts that imperialism was not essential to the liberal project, as is so often alleged by its critics, most recently and systematically by Uday Singh Mehta in his important study "Liberalism and Empire".
- Globalizing Democracy and Human Rights [Full Text]
Although the focus of "Globalizing Democracy and Human Rights" is practical, Gould does not shy away from hard theoretical questions, such as the relentless debate over cultural relativism, and the relationship between terrorism and democracy.
- Identity and Violence: The Illusion of Destiny
Cosmopolitanism: Ethics in a World of Strangers
[Full Text] | 06/01/2007
These two books are the inaugural releases in Norton's Issues of Our Time series, but they are linked by much more than this fact. Each is a measured attack on the cultural separatism prevalent in many academic and policy circles.