Founded in 1914 by Andrew Carnegie, Carnegie Council for Ethics in International Affairs is a New York institution with global reach. For over 100 years, the Council has promoted voices for ethics in international relations education and policy. We convene leaders from business, government, and academia to develop practical, ethically based frameworks for issues on the technological and political frontier.
The Director of Communications and External Affairs will design, articulate and implement a comprehensive communications strategy for the organization that is aligned to achieve its ambitious new strategic plan. In 2019, the Council is launching a new line of programs that will influence public policy and raise public awareness on ethical implications of today's most intriguing, challenging, threatening, and promising developments.
Under the direct management of the Chief Executive Officer, the Director is responsible for the development and execution of a marketing strategy and annual plan that will support achievement of the Council's strategic goals. The Director will serve as a key external representative of the Council at stakeholder meetings, public events, and media appearances. This position will work closely with the Director of Development and Partnerships and Chief Executive Officer to support the vision, goals, and strategy for increasing and diversifying the Council's portfolio.
- Assist the Chief Executive Officer with cultivating and maintaining a strong public presence with diverse audiences.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate communications plans across the Council's audiences.
- Create and sustain an organization-wide marketing strategy to advance the Council's goals and objectives and implement the strategy to support annual strategic objectives in all areas including fundraising and program resources.
- Develop and direct events with key partners to raise the profile and broaden the audience for Council initiatives.
- In collaboration with the Director of Development, develop a comprehensive strategy to communicate with and steward current donors and attract new donors.
- Align the Council's efforts in social media within the overall marketing strategy and integrate all social media strategies to create a cohesive effort moving forward.
- Manage current and develop new relationships with corporate and philanthropic partners.
- A strategic thinker with a focus on improving systems and coordinating efforts to reach the Council's strategic communications goal.
- A proven track record of success in team leadership.
- Ability to interact professionally with dedicated Board and staff members who have diverse backgrounds, professional skills, and perspectives.
- Flexibility and a proven ability to innovate and find creative solutions to challenges.
- Bachelor's Degree required; Master's degree preferred.
- Exceptional writing, communication, and analytical skills.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in a communications and marketing role.
- Expertise in different types of writing, including reports, blog posts, policy-focused documents.
Compensation and Benefits:
Carnegie Council offers a competitive salary; three weeks paid vacation per year plus additional sick and personal leave time; health, dental, and vision plans; a public transportation subsidy; and generous 401k contributions after one year of employment.
Please send your resume and cover letter, along with a short writing sample to Melissa Semeniuk at email@example.com with the subject title "Director of Communications and External Affairs."
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. DUE TO THE EXPECTED HIGH VOLUME OF APPLICATIONS, ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED FOR AN INTERVIEW.