Zach Dorfman is a Carnegie Council fellow and was previously senior editor of the Council's journal, Ethics & International Affairs.
Before that, he served as an editorial assistant at Tikkun Magazine, a bimonthly devoted to the intersection between progressive politics and religious life. He has an extensive background in research, aiding scholars at the University of Chicago and Stanford on projects related to election fraud and the global drug trade, respectively.
Dorfman received an MA (Hons.) in international relations from the University of Chicago, where he focused on the history and theory of sovereignty, and a BA (cum laude) from Skidmore College, where he double majored in philosophy and government.
His work has appeared in the Los Angeles Times, National Interest, The Los Angeles Review of Books, The Awl, Dissent, and American Interest.
"Slouching Towards Gautama: Toward a Buddhist Politics of Freedom," The Montréal Review, September 2011
"A Diaspora of the Mind: American Jewry and the Secularization of Otherness," ZEEK, December 14, 2010.
- A Conversation on Climate Change with Conservation International's M. Sanjayan
- An Interview with Jim Sleeper on the Future of Liberal Education
- An Interview with Shefa Siegel on Liberia, Ebola, and the Cult of Bankable Projects
- Thought Leader: David Cannadine
- Ethics & International Affairs Interviews
- THE LIVING WAR: World War I in the 21st Century
- Codename: Chilbom
- The Progressive's Paradox
- What Drives Americans to Join the Jihad? The Book "United States of Jihad" Explains
- Hatchet to Hatchet, Dust (Jacket) to Dust: Reading The New York Times Nonfiction Bestseller List
- Steven Brill's 'America's Bitter Pill' Tackles Healthcare Mess
- The Ottoman Road to War: Mustafa Aksakal on the Ottomans' Fateful Decision
- Cowboys and Kalashnikovs: Comparing the Mexican-American War to the Conflict in Ukraine
- Long Burn the Fire: On Political Order and Political Decay
- Mary Dudziak on Civil Liberties During WWI and Beyond
- A Clear and Present Danger: Why We Need the UN Security Council to Help Defeat ISIL
- "The Past is Another Country:" The Epic Battle for the Civil Rights Act
- The Long Shadow: David Reynolds on World War I
- Jingo Unchained: What World War I Wrought
- The Lost Promise of Patriotism: Jonathan Hansen on World War I (Part II)
- The Lost Promise of Patriotism: Jonathan Hansen on World War I (Part I)
- Ill Fares the Invisible Hand
- In Memoriam: Jean Bethke Elshtain (1941-2013)
- Book Review: "The Undivided Past: Humanity Beyond Our Differences"
- Hard Questions for Humanitarians
- What We Talk About When We Talk About Isolationism
- The Varieties of Protest Experience: How Accountability Gaps Link the Arab Spring and Occupy Wall Street
- Tragedy, Then Farce: Israel, Palestine, the United States, and the UN Vote for Palestinian Statehood
- Blood Brothers
- Pursuing a "Syrian Strategy" for Arab-Israeli Peace
Last Updated: Jul 08, 2016