Jeffrey McCausland is the founder and CEO of Diamond6 Leadership and Strategy, LLC (http://diamondsixleadership.com/).
He also holds the position of distinguished visiting professor of research and Minerva Chair at the Strategic Studies Institute (SSI), U.S. Army War College, and is a visiting professor of International Security at Dickinson College in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. He serves as a senior fellow at the Stockdale Center for Ethical Leadership at the United States Naval Academy and the Carnegie Council for Ethics in International Affairs in New York. Prior to these appointments he was a visiting professor of International Law and Diplomacy at the Penn State Dickinson School of Law.
McCausland is a retired Colonel from the U.S. Army and completed his active duty service in the United States Army in 2002 culminating his career as dean of academics, United States Army War College. Upon retirement McCausland accepted the Class of 1961 chair of leadership at the United States Naval Academy, Annapolis, Maryland and served there from January 2002 to July 2004. He continues to hold a position as a senior fellow at the Stockdale Center for Ethical Leadership at the Naval Academy.
During his military career, McCausland served in a variety of command and staff positions both in the United States and Europe. This included director for defense policy and arms control on the National Security Council Staff during the Kosovo crisis. He also worked on the Treaty on Conventional Armed Forces in Europe (CFE) as a member of the Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations, U.S. Army Staff, the Pentagon. Following this assignment he assumed command of a field artillery battalion stationed in Europe and deployed his unit to Saudi Arabia for Operations Desert Shield and Storm in 1990 and 1991.
McCausland has both published and lectured broadly on military affairs, European security issues, the Gulf War, and leadership throughout the United States and over 16 countries. He has been a visiting fellow at the Center for International Affairs, Harvard University; Conflict Studies Research Center, Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst; Stiftung Wissenshaft und Politk, Ebenhausen, Germany; George C. Marshall Center for European Security Studies, Garmisch, Germany; and the International Institute for Strategic Studies, London.
He has also served as a member of numerous panels on leadership and character development. These include the Chief of Staff Army's Blue Ribbon Panel on Training and Leader Development; the Character Review Panel for the Superintendent, U.S. Air Force Academy; as well as providing advice and assistance to the Chief of Staff of the Air Force's Aerospace Leader Development Panel.
Dr. McCausland is a senior fellow at the Clarke Forum at Dickinson College and a Senior Associate at the Abshire-Inamori Leadership Academy at Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) in Washington. He is also an adjunct fellow at both CSIS as well as the RAND Corporation in Washington. He serves on the Board of Advisers to the National Committee on American Foreign Policy in New York, the Hourglass Initiative, and the Dreyfuss Initiative.
He has been a national security consultant for CBS television and radio. In this capacity he has travelled frequently to Guantanamo, Iraq and Afghanistan. Consequently, he has been a frequent commentator on the ongoing conflicts in both countries for CBS since 2003. McCausland has also appeared on MSNBC, CSPAN, CNN, Al Jazeera, the CBS Morning Show, Up To the Minute, as well as the CBS Evening News. He is frequently interviewed by The New York Times, Christian Science Monitor, The Wall Street Journal, and Boston Globe.
- "Op-Ed: Conventional Arms Control and European Security," Strategic Studies Institute, U.S. Army War College, May 16, 2011
- Salvaging the Conventional Armed Forces in Europe Treaty Regime: Options for Washington with Ann Witkowsky and Sherman Garnett, Brookings Institution Arms Control Series, Paper 2, March 2010
- Developing Strategic Leaders for the 21st Century (February 2008, Strategic Studies Institute at the US Army War College)Click link for PDF of full text
- C-Span Video, Interview with Thomas Ricks, author of Fiasco: The American Military Adventure in Iraq, July 2006
- CBS video, "Death of a Terrorist Part 2", June 8 2006
- "Governments, Societies, and Armed Forces: What the Gulf War Portends," Parameters, Summer 1999, pp. 2-21.
- Afghanistan Briefing
- Jeffrey McCausland Interviews Eric "Rick" Olson: The Role of Military Contractors
- Jeffrey McCausland Interviews James Carafano: The Role of Contractors in Combat
- Breathing the Fire
- Shades of Gray: Military Commissions and the Rule of Law
- General Sir Rupert Smith Interviewed by Jeffrey McCausland
- Joseph Cirincione Interviewed by Jeffrey McCausland
- Taking Effective and Practical Steps Regarding Ukraine
- Guantanamo Ethics
- European/Eurasian Security and the Treaty on Conventional Armed Forces in Europe (CFE)
- Arms Control and the New Strategic Concept
- Afghanistan, August 2009: A Turning Point--But Which Way Is it Turning?
- Obama's War
- Timelines or Time Windows for Afghanistan?
- After Georgia: Russia, NATO, and the CFE
- An American Detainee "Strategy"
- Developing Strategic Leaders for the 21st Century
- Iraq After the "Surge"
- Some Good News from Iraq: Sweet Sixteen
- Who Will Sound the Call to Service?
Specialization: U.S. national security policy, NATO, Afghanistan War, arms control, nuclear weapons and proliferation.
Last Updated: Mar 11, 2014