Elizabeth (Lili) Cole is a senior program officer in the Jennings Randolph Fellowship program at the United States Insitute of Peace (USIP).
Previously she was assistant director of TeachAsia in the Education Division of Asia Society in New York City.
Cole served as senior program officer at the Carnegie Council from 2000 to 2005. She developed the History and the Politics of Reconciliation Program, focusing in particular on educational efforts to promote reconciliation.
Before joining the Council she worked at the Center for the Study of Human Rights at Columbia University where she was coordinator of its program on religion, human rights, and religious freedom. Prior to that she was director of internships at the National Forum Foundation and assistant program officer at the National Endowment for Democracy.
Cole holds a PhD in Slavic languages and literatures from Yale University and lived and worked in China from 1981-1984.
- Ten Years after Srebrenica: Conversation with Haris Hromic
- Preserving the Past, the Impossible and Necessary Task
- History and the Politics of Reconciliation (2000-2005)
- On the 20th Anniversary of the Tiananmen Demonstrations: Human Rights Needs for a New China
- Apology, Forgiveness, and Moral Repair [Full Text]
- Carnegie Council Announces the Publication of "Teaching the Violent Past" edited by Elizabeth Cole
- "Ghost Detainees," Blank Spots, and Torture
- The Uses of History: Reflections on the Fall of Yugoslavia
- Historical Memory and the Building of Democracy in Iraq
- Desolation and Enlightenment--History or Memory?
- Searching for a New Iraqi Identity
- Democratic Development and Reckoning with the Past: The Case of Spain in Comparative Context
- Instead of Reconciliation, A Widening Gulf
- Senator Kerrey and the War That Still Haunts Us
- Teaching for Reconciliation: Can Tolerance Towards Former Enemies Be Taught?
- Should States Apologize?
- Introduction by Elizabeth A. Cole, Editor
History, memory, and reconciliation; conflict resolution; Eastern European studies; China
Last Updated: Jul 16, 2013
- History and the Politics of Reconciliation Program (Archive)
- Teaching the Violent Past: ONLINE BOOK COMPANION (Books and Book Notes)